Tuesday, April 26, 2011

~Let Them Eat Rose Petals~

~Let Them Eat Rose Petals~: "

For some time now I have been longing to try my hand at stirring up a fragrant concoction of


Rose Petal Jelly



dreaming of this sweet delicacy…



imagining


what it would look like…



and how it might taste slathered on my favorite scones.



I now know why the bees and hummingbirds are so passionate for my roses…


*****just heavenly*****



I began by gathering some of the most fragrant roses from my garden…


pesticide free, of course.



I chose mostly pink…and one red.



Don’t you love how pale pink the delicate jelly is sans the petals…


some recipes call for the petals to be strained out, but I opted for leaving them in.


I consulted 5 different recipes trying to decide which one to go with and in the end came up with my own version that combined techniques from them all…I would love to share it with you, but it needs a little fine tuning before I do that. Some call for pectin and some do not. I went pectin free and my “jelly” is a bit more syrup like, which actually makes this rosy delight even more versatile.



My customized version reminds me of Sciroppo di rose ~ a wonderful Italian rose syrup I discovered a few years ago. Add a few drops to a glass of Prosecco or Champagne for a little intrigue…or drizzle it over vanilla or strawberry ice cream.



As you can see, even with this consistency it still clings well to the scone.



Taking 8 cups of petals to yield 1 pint…this elixr lends itself to being made in small batches. Bottle it in pretty little containers and rose petal jelly becomes a beautiful gift.



I first acquired my taste for the romantic indulgence of eating roses at Ladurée in Paris…the Marie Antoinette cake is heavily infused with the essence of roses…



and then there is irresistible Religieuse a la Rose pastry…



filled with rose infused cream and fresh raspberries, and then finished with a soft pink fondant.


Take my tour of Ladurée here.



If any of you have found or perfected a good rose jelly recipe, I would love to hear about it.



And now I think I shall sit down to a cup of tea and a fluffy scone covered in a generous drizzle of


Rose Petal Jelly



"

No comments:

Post a Comment